Thursday, April 16, 2009

A Dip in the Frog Pond

Hello! I was hoping by now to be sharing a cool new pattern that I'm working on for the store library, but noooooooooooooo. This little cutie is looking really good, but getting frogged for two reasons.

Reason 1: Fit. As I was working on the leg, it seemed like it was wide enough, but I wasn't completely convinced. After I got around the heel, it became clear that it was too snug. Fortunately, I have a plan as to how to work more stitches into this Twist Stitch design. It's fun to knit, and results in a cabled-look without using a cable needle - yeah!


Reason 2: The Heel. I tried a heel I haven't used before, the recommendation for which came from a seemingly reputable source. This heel, known as the Band Heel, has pros and cons:

Pros:

- It looks kinda cool from the side.
- It has options for creativity - it wouldn't have to be done in stockinette.
-There is no gusset to mess with.

Con:
(Only one and it's a biggie)
It has a bumpy band on the bottom of the heel that I can only imagine is uncomfortable to walk on.

So, this three-quarters-of-the-way-done sock was summarily snipped from its mother ball, and is on it's way to display in the Sock Hall of Shame. It's replacement is in process, and I'm hoping to complete it in the next week. I have so many other ideas brewing in my little head that I want to be working on!

KAL Update: Whew! The Mystery Sock KAL is gaining lots of participants and should be a ton of fun. It's a great group, featuring a few family knitting "teams", an enlisted knitter currently serving in Afghanistan, several veterans of Sock Wars III (who are also participating in Sock Wars IV in May), and a myriad of other crazy Sock-aholics anxious to get started. Is it selfish for me to be having so much fun with this?

Cheers,
Wendy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! I'd love to hear from you -