Thursday, October 1, 2009

Socktoberfest!!!

It's that most auspicious sock knitting month of the year - Socktober! To celebrate it, I've launched a Mini-Sock Swap on the Ravelry Board which should be lots of fun. I look forward to seeing all the teeny-tiny socks that are going to be shipped all over the place - whee! If you would like more information, or would like to join in on the fun, register Here on Ravelry by 10/14/09. The more the merrier!

I have several other updates as well. First, I am so proud to report that the Ravelry group now has over 700 members now. Wow! I never would have guessed the group would grow so fast in only 6 months. I also want to share that I've started doing some international shipping which I manage through my Etsy store. To date, we've shipped to Canada, Australia, and Austria! "Locally", we've shipped to 43 states, and are looking to get to those last 7!

I shipped New Kitty to my niece earlier this week, and am trying my best to wait patiently for her to open the present so I can hear if she likes it! She'll be having an ice cream party this year, so it's good that New Kitty is completely washable ;-)

Our trip to NYC was great! It was so nice to spend several days doing nothing except enjoying the moment. We walked at least 5 miles each day, and I was really feeling it for the first couple of days, but then I started getting used to exercise (which is generally pretty much a stranger to me!) We visited 4 really nice yarn stores - each different and wonderful in its own way. Seaport Yarns (pictured) was filled with good stuff, and had some local-indie dyed inventory that was very nice (and made it into my shopping bag). Purl in Soho has a trendier feel - just like its neighborhood which I love. Purl also has a fabric store a couple of doors down that features very cool prints for quilting and crafting. Downtown Yarns in the East Village was welcoming with it's homey screen door and warm wooden appointments. It's a skinny store, so it had shelves going all the way to the top of its high ceilings, and a rolling library ladder for yarn access. The ladies there were very sweet, and several locals were knitting and chatting. I picked up a fiber gift here, plus some good ole' Cascade 220 to make some felted ballerina slippers out of for a couple of girls on my christmas list. Last but not least was String on the Upper East Side. The ladies in this brownstone-housed shop were very friendly to point out all the inventory that might be new and different to me. Found some 100% sugarcane yarn there (whooda thunk!) and bought a gift skein, and a self-gift skein.

Other than the yarn stores, we saw a play, visited the Met on a rainy afternoon, went to a comedy club, and hit a number of taverns that we encountered while walking through the different neighborhoods. Great trip!

I got quite a bit accomplished on Coraline. The back is nearly done - just a few inches to go at the top. It's going to benefit from some serious steaming, but I really like the yarn. I need to evaluate my yarn supply, and soon. I think I'm going to be short, even though I bought more than recommended. Better put that on my to do list for tomorrow so that I can hopefully get the same dye lot! I'm going to have to shelf this project now for a bit while I finish the last of the drinking gloves.

I think that's enough for today! Cheers-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! I'd love to hear from you -