Sunday, November 15, 2009

Happy Birthday Green Flash and a Bertha Update

One of the many pleasures of San Diego County is that it is the home of many great breweries. The most well-known of the bunch is Stone Brewing Co, brewer of Arrogant Bastard Ale. Some of our other faves are Port Brewing Co, which also makes a mean pizza, and Alesmith, for which I have fond memories of sneaking out of work early on Fridays with my boss to enjoy their tasting room many years ago.

Yesterday, one of our local breweries, Green Flash Brewing Company, hosted a festival in honor of their 7th birthday, and we were there to help them celebrate. It was a beautiful sunny, warm day for the mostly outdoor event that featured tastings from 20 local brewers, BBQ, pizza, and the opportunity to share a beer with some fellow members of the SD Beer Club.

I wore my Martini Scarf to the event which couldn't have been more appropriate. Not only did it fit the cocktail theme, but the scarf color happened to be the theme color of the event. The scarf caught the eye of a couple of the women in attendance - one who was a knitter, and one who worked for Port Brewing. She asked me if I could knit them to sell in their gift shop. Ha! Clearly she is not a knitter :-)

My hubby and I have a tendency to get pretty geeky when it comes to visiting production facilities due to our background in biotech product manufacturing. Consequently, we enjoyed checking out their equipment room, and bugged a couple of their employees with riviting questions about their process like filling machine dead volumes and CIP chemical content.

On the knitting front, I've finished the tank top portion of the Big Red Bertha Twinset, and it turned out well! I really like the border pattern I chose, and plan to feature it more in the cardigan. This yarn is very soft for 100% merino - not itchy at all! I used about 600 yards of the 2000 yard skein for the tank, so I should have plenty left for a long-sleeved cardigan to match. My apologies for the blurry self-photo of this project.

I also started knitting the most adorable piggy mittens for my niece - I just love knitting things for her! I should have completion photos of the piggies for my next post.


Cheers-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! I'd love to hear from you -