Monday, November 2, 2009

Torrance Fiber Festival!

Yesterday was the annual Fiber Festival in Torrance, CA. Sponsored by the Southern California Handweavers Guild, this event showcases weaving, but has something for everyone who likes to play with string!









Seven of us from local knitting groups carpooled north to the event again this year. Our routine begins with meeting for breakfast at 8am so that we have lots of energy for shopping when we arrive at the event! The drive was great - no LA traffic to impede our ultimate goal of arriving shortly after the show opened.
























There were all kinds of yarns, rovings, fleeces, books, tools, beads, buttons, looms, and spinning equipment. None of us left empty handed. A couple of the girls scored sweater quantities of Malabrigo that I could see they were casting on in their minds before even leaving the booth! Several of the group members are spinners, and purchased beautiful fleece and roving. One lucky shopper purchased two beautiful alpaca fleeces that were in lovely natural light grey and chocolate colors, and were soft as a cloud. Another was excited to find a book she had been looking for.

I was quite disciplined (since I haven't used what I bought there last year yet), and made only one purchase. I scored a skein of Hand Maiden CamelSpin (7o% Silk and 30% Camel) that is in lovely fall colors and is SO unbelievably soft. I've ridden a camel before, and it was a big nasty animal, so I'm always amazed at how soft it's fur can be when spun. I might try to make a little shrug out of it, or if that won't fly, it will become the most luxurious pair of socks EVAH!

After we exhausted ourselves and our credit cards, we piled back in the cars for our next traditional stop for lunch at an area Noodle House, and were joined by a group of knitters from Orange County that we have met through Stitches events. It was a pretty animated lunch since everyone was still on their yarn-buying high! Finally, with full bellies we made our way back down the freeway with our new purchases. The first thing I did when I got home was log into Ravelry to see what I might like to make out of my new camel yarn!
Cheers-

1 comment:

  1. Looks like you guys had a great time that CamelSpin looks so soft the colors are goregous.

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I'd love to hear from you -