Thursday, August 4, 2011

New Motivation

It's hard to believe, but I've actually just come off a 10 day no knitting streak.  It's not that I didn't want to knit, it's just that I was really busy in the days leading to Sock Summit.  And then while I was in the midst of all the knitting activity at SS, I didn't have a break to knit when I wasn't needing to get some sleep instead!  Now we're back, and I'm craving the feel of fiber between my fingers.

While we were on the road, I decided I need to schedule a "Design Meeting" with myself everyday.  I find that when we get busy, I'm prone to letting the design work slip. So I'm hoping to bring a little discipline to my daily activities by scheduling a couple of designing hours into my day.  This is most important during the beginning stages of new project where I am working off charts that I have on my computer, and editting them as I work.  Once a pattern gets underway, the project tends to get more mobile, and then I'm more likely to work on it in the evening while I watch TV, and I make progress at a faster clip. 

During my Design Meeting today, I finished the motif I've been working on.  I like the curved edge on it - it will be pretty and wavy when it is repeated side-by-side.  I also decided that the 5-leaved motif is a Starfish!  That also goes well with the wavy border, so it looks like we're going to have a seashore theme for this project.

Now I'm noodling how to connect these motifs together to form the shawlette.  I weighed the motif to help me gauge yarn usage so I can keep this pattern to a one-skein project.  I copied the outline of the motif and laid it out side by side so that I can see how much space I need to fill between the repeats.  I believe I'm going to shoot for seven repeats - with the center three being longer than the two on each end.  This should yield a cresent shaped shawlette. 


Now to figure out how to get it started!

Cheers-

8 comments:

  1. I love it...but then I am sucker for lace!! Great Wendy, I can't wait to see the finished bit of loveliness.

    Oh, welcome back, we have missed you more than you will ever know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful. Can't wait to knit this myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow lovely really stunning actually...
    has my jaw droped and plotting my own design

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wendy, you are AMAZING! I am already in love with this pattern. Cannot wait to see it finalized. :)

    Cjo (Yohmama)

    ReplyDelete
  5. From the cutest blog on the block comes the cutest design on the block! Cannot wait to try to make a shawl (this shawl)! I hope it's a friendly pattern with LOTS of videos!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohhhh, I'm liking the looks of that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am in awe of this lovely.
    I've not attempted ANY thing like this.
    Hard to wrap my mind 'round this.
    hugs

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks beautiful! I'm so ready for a shawl after Sock Summit! I'll be able to show it off in 2013.

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I'd love to hear from you -