Monday, January 23, 2012

Another Toe!

This Travelling Sock KAL just continues to be so fun!  I've just received my 3rd and 4th pair of socks and they are just too cool!  Each pair truly has a unique personality stitched into its patterns and colorways. 

This pair belongs to GmaX4.  It has a nice warm color theme going, and looks great.  I put the teal cable rib part on, and Khalila did the variegated Hourglass pattern before me.  We've gotten to the point in this exercise where we need to assess the status of each sock before we start knitting, so here's what I assessed on this pair:

1.  The wearer has a 10" foot and wants a 6" leg.  That's 16 inches of sock (plus the heel turn) divided by 11 knitters, which means each knitter should do about 1-1/2" on each sock.
2.  After three knitters, the sock is already about 6" long, so we're ahead of the game on length.  Consequently, I'll do less than 1-1/2".
3.  Based on our formula in the pattern, we need to start the gusset rounds when this pair is 7" long.
4.  Therefore, I decided to knit 1" on each sock, and that means the next knitter, Pennala, will start the heel gusset.

I still have to do Sock 2, so these aren't ready to fly to Canada just yet!


I also wanted to share an update on my Ethereal Triangular Shawl.  So beautiful!!!  I just love knitting with my handspun.  I don't think I mentioned in the blog that I ordered a wheel last week - YAY!  Got a Louet Victoria with a carrying bag AND a WooLee Winder and set of bobbins.  I am going to be stylin' while I spin.  But... back to my shawl.  I have about 20 rows left, and I've gotten to the point where they take me 30 to 45 minutes to do (depending on how many yarn overs I've screwed up in the previous right side row).  I'm sure I'll have extra yarn, so toward the end I'll start weighing my ball after each round to help me assess how many additional rows I can put on this shawl to consume all the yarn.  It's so pretty, I must use every drop!

Until I have more to show off  :-) - Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! I'd love to hear from you -